8/15/2013

"Fight Club" as Bible



A friend just refreshed a period in my life with a post about Fight Club being his Bible.

I could not agree more. But let me digress.

When I was 20 I was a boxer, that would have been 1981 (do the math). Being a part of our local YMCA boxing program with a small class I was usually mismatched in the ring. I was a middle weight and there were two light weights and three heavy weights. I was put in with the heavy weights.

My boxing coach use to tell me to hit myself as hard as I could when I was at home.  He said "I want you to keep hitting yourself as hard as you can until you aren't afraid of getting hit anymore."

I did what my coach asked, hitting myself in the head and face when no one was looking as hard as I could. His advice worked. When I stepped into the ring I wasn't bracing for or fearing the sting of getting punched in the face, I was thinking defense and offence. It made me a better boxer.

Fight Club's base message as I understand it, is let go of fear.  What would you do if the fear of not doing what you love becomes greater than the fear OF doing what you love.  Remember the guy in the store who wanted to be a veterinarian.

What would you do if someone put a gun to your head and said "I will come back in a month and if you aren't working towards becoming what you always wanted to be, I will kill you. I know where you live."

I have lived my entire life with people telling me I will never make it. Whether it was making the football team (I was not the biggest guy on the field) to becoming a full time artist to us having a child at our age.  If I listened to any of them I would never have done any of the greatest things I have accomplished in my life.

Just makes you wonder.

Got to go, I have a gun to my head at the moment.

JUA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.