1/10/2010

Blog without Blogging

We are now down to the wire.  58 days until opening.  One more painting to go, some finish up and allot more blood and flesh to harvest. During this last year of work this blog has been mostly short snippets of information and photos.  Now that we are rounding the last turn I thought it appropriate to actually start blogging.  So without further ado....

The journey has been long and fraught with problems.   Because of my situation which I do not care to elaborate upon here and now, I must start painting at 10:00 to 11:00 pm at night and work until whenever.  Then get up at 8:00 am.  Lack of sleep has taken it's collective toll.  I have aged, tattooed baggage under the eyes, and due to outside influences some of the most stressful times I have ever known.  The work has had kind of a reverse Dorian Grey effect on me as well.  Or more to the point, I have become my work.  Regardless, even if a regular schedule of 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night was the cost I was determined to create.

The creation of the installation work "Flesh and Blood" has taken on a whole live of it's own.  Over the past 6 months or so it was an interesting, frustrating and in the end very heart warming process due to the extremely generous donation of the time and talents of several individuals.  When I began this little misadventure I was not totally confident that I would be able to pull it off.  I mean, the amount of blood it would take to complete the piece seemed prohibitive.  Luckily I found the someone who saw what I was trying to accomplish and also possessed the talent and ability to draw the amount of blood we needed.  We are still working on it by the by.  I go back in tomorrow and will document more of the process for you all to see and will post tomorrow night if I am not too faint.  The resulting work I believe will be worth ever drop of blood spilt or bit of flesh I took from my body.  Oh yeah, the flesh part.  A few have enquired as to the process involved in harvesting flesh.  First and foremost, it is my flesh and nothing but.  The process is laborious and painful if I am not careful.  Above and beyond that I wont elaborate.
 
I look forward to getting all the various pieces together in Los Angeles.

The work has been hard on me as the aforementioned has stated.  It has also cut closer to the bone than any of my previous work and I cannot say I liked what I saw.  Though the journey has brought me to a place I have not been in a long time I think it has taken more than just the blood and flesh out of me.  Regardless of how the work will be recieved, it is my child and will soon be time to send it into the world.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.